Jordan Pouncey gave his commitment to Brian Kelly inside Notre Dame Stadium back in June at the conclusion of the Irish Invasion camp.
On Wednesday, the three-star wide receiver recruit from Winter Park (Fla.) High withdrew his pledge to Notre Dame.
Pouncey announced the news on Twitter and declined an interview request.
"I want to thank Coach Kelly, Coach Denson, & Coach Denbrock for taking a chance on me by offering me a full scholarship & accepting my commitment," Pouncey said in his statement on Twitter. "Also, I want to thank all of the Irish Family for accepting me into the family & treating me like a brother. With that being said, after countless prayers and discussions with my family & mentors, I have decided to reopen my recruitment and decommit from The University of Notre Dame. Please respect me for my decision, knowing that I need to do what is best for me."
Less than 24 hours prior, Pouncey posted a picture of him and head coach Brian Kelly from the Irish Invasion.
"And.... the best of them all," Pouncey wrote with the photo in Twitter. "Me and the boss man himself. Love ya coach @CoachBrianKelly."
Then late Tuesday night, a report from Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel indicated Irish associate head coach Mike Denbrock, who would be Pouncey's position coach at Notre Dame, was expected to be named the offensive coordinator at Cincinnati. The Tribune reported Wednesday morning that an offer had been made to Denbrock by Cincinnati, but he had yet to make a decision.
Pouncey was also recruited by Irish running backs coach Autry Denson, who covers the state of Florida for Notre Dame.
Following his senior season at Winter Park, the 6-2, 186-pound Pouncey paid his way for an unofficial visit to Notre Dame to attend the awards show earlier this month alongside several of his fellow Irish commits. He has since received offers from Miami and Texas.
Pouncey visited Miami for its games against Florida Atlantic and Florida State this season, but he said he didn't plan to visit the Hurricanes again upon receiving the scholarship offer.
"There's not much to talk about," Pouncey told the Tribune on Dec. 19 following the Miami offer.
Pouncey becomes the third commitment to ditch the Irish since the start of the 2016 season. Four-star defensive lineman Donovan Jeter (Michigan) and four-star linebacker Pete Werner (Ohio State) previously defected from the class in the last four months. Notre Dame also lost a commitment from four-star defensive end Robert Beal early in the 2017 recruiting cycle after finishing the 2016 class without losing a commitment.
Sans Pouncey, Notre Dame is left with 17 commitments in the 2017 class and only one wide receiver — three-star recruit Michael Young.
Rivals ranks Notre Dame's class as the 10th best in the country. 247Sports pegs the Irish at No. 12.
Notre Dame was pushing to add one or two more receivers in the class before Pouncey's decision. Oliver Martin and Jamire Calvin both made official visits earlier this month, and the recently reported Irish offers include wide receivers Gavin Holmes and Michael Smith.
Pouncey played mostly at running back during his senior season. He turned 86 carries into 768 yards and 12 touchdowns and caught 31 passes for 431 yards.
247Sports slates Pouncey as the No. 112 wide receiver in the 2017 class and Rivals did not include Pouncey in its list of the top 100 recruits at the position.
firstname.lastname@example.org | 574-235-6214 | Twitter: @TJamesNDI
Gonna miss the kid. Nothing but high hopes for you family. https://t.co/Px1K191Qfy— Isaiah Robertson (@AlMightyzay_1) December 28, 2016
I hate to see this...but at the end of day you have to do what's best for you and your family. Much love and respect for you bro ✊🏽💯 https://t.co/qBiNNpyu55— JonathonMacCollister (@bigbird__54) December 28, 2016