Numbers behind Notre Dame's 2018 recruiting class
On Feb. 7, Notre Dame’s football program finished the 2018 recruiting class by signing 27 prospects, a new high for the Brian Kelly Era.
But there are plenty of numbers that went into the Irish being able to pull that all together.
ND Insider took a deep dive into some of the data for the 2018 class. Here’s a collection of notable numbers on how the class came together. All numbers are based off ND Insider reports and not official numbers provided by Notre Dame.
• 181: Approximate number of recruits who reported offers from Notre Dame in the 2018 cycle. Some offers aren’t reported publicly. Some reported offers could be miscommunications.
• 1: Notre Dame signee who reported an Irish offer during his sophomore season (quarterback Phil Jurkovec).
• 8: Signees who reported a Notre Dame offer before their junior seasons.
• 22: Signees who reported a Notre Dame offer before their senior seasons.
• 5: Signees who reported a Notre Dame offer during their senior year.
• 81: Recruits with offers who visited Notre Dame.
• 44: Recruits who made official visits to Notre Dame.
• 27: Notre Dame signees who made official visits.
• 61: Percentage of official visitors who ended up signing with Notre Dame.
• 15: Notre Dame signees who were already committed before making official visits.
• 29: Recruits not committed to Notre Dame at the time of their official visits.
• 12: Recruits who committed to Notre Dame after an official visit.
• 41: Percentage of recruits who committed to Notre Dame after an official visit.
Notre Dame’s biggest recruiting events in the last few years have been night games, junior days, the annual awards shows and the Irish Invasion camp. The numbers below are in reference to those events.
• 13: Notre Dame signees who attended one of ND’s big recruiting events prior to committing.
• 8: Signees who attended one of ND’s night games prior to committing.
• 6: Signees who attended an Irish Invasion prior to committing.
• 5: Signees who attended a junior day prior to committing.
• 4: Signees who attended the 2016 Irish Invasion prior to committing.
• 4: Signees who attended the 2017 USC game prior to committing.
No other events included more future commitments than the 2016 Irish Invasion or the 2017 USC game.
• 28.6: Average number of days following a visit that resulted in a Notre Dame signee’s verbal commitment.
• 10: Median number of days following a visit that resulted in a signee’s commitment.
• 8: Signees who committed the day a visit ended.
• 12: Signees who committed within a week following a visit.
• 19: Signees who committed within a month following a visit.
• 3: Signees who committed more than 100 days after their previous visit.
• 5: Signees who committed before their junior year.
• 15: Signees who committed before their senior year.
• 12: Signees who committed during their senior year.
• 7: Signees who were committed elsewhere before Notre Dame.
• 3: Former commits who signed elsewhere.
• 49: Signees who were committed elsewhere before Notre Dame in Brian Kelly’s tenure.
• 28: Former commits who signed elsewhere in Kelly’s tenure.