Helmet, banners and more: Florida State to pay tribute to legend Bobby Bowden all season
Florida State’s football program will celebrate the life of legendary coach Bobby Bowden in a number of ways during the 2021 season.
Each back helmet bumper will feature Coach Bowden’s signature in garnet on a white background, and each coach’s polo will have the Bowden patch on one sleeve.
On the field, the Bowden logo with his iconic hat and “Bobby” signature will be painted on each 25-yard line opposite the ACC logos. In the south end zone, a tribute banner with the same logo will be installed over the area that was previously occupied by the Marching Chiefs before their move to the north end zone.
"It was a collaborative effort. We want to make sure that we do it right," FSU head coach Mike Norvell said Wednesday of the planning that went into the Bowden tribute.
"For what he means to this university, we want to make that we show the respect in all phases, in all ways. It really plays with what we're doing. I'm just excited for who he was for this program and the opportunity we have to represent him."
'My whole life revolved around him':Ann Bowden reflects on life with and without Bobby
More Bobby Bowden tributes:
- Bobby Bowden's Celebration of Life highlighted by his tenets of 'Faith, family, football'
- Remembering FSU's Bobby Bowden: Tribute collection page with stories, photos and memories
- Jim Henry: FSU legendary coach Bobby Bowden 'painted a great picture of what life is'
- Remembering Bobby Bowden's connection with players, recruiting style: 'He was consistent'
- 'He lived what he preached': Tallahassee honors the late Bobby Bowden at old Capitol
Florida State opens its 2021 campaign by hosting Notre Dame on Sunday, Sept. 5. The season opener will air on ABC with a 7:30 p.m. kickoff.
Reach Curt Weiler at email@example.com or follow him on Twitter @CurtMWeiler.
No one covers the ‘Noles like the Tallahassee Democrat. Subscribe using the link at the top of the page and never miss a moment.