Kelly expects resolution to Notre Dame academic probe to happen soon
UDPATE: Brian Kelly provided an update on the investigation, which now includes a fifth player, Thursday evening. Read the update here.
It’s not an exact timetable, but for the first time since Notre Dame’s academic fraud investigation became public on Aug. 15, head football coach Brian Kelly has a sense of when it might conclude.
And that appears to be soon.
Kelly, appearing on the syndicated Dan Patrick Show Thursday morning, was asked by the radio/TV host how long the Irish would be without cornerback KeiVarae Russell, defensive end Ishaq Williams, wide receiver DaVaris Daniels and linebacker Kendall Moore — the players at the center of the probe.
His response: “I’m told, the investigation is complete and the process from an academic standpoint has been finished. And that means hearings and they get their opportunity to obviously meet before the provost and again, there are decisions that are made outside my purview, but I understand that’s something now that school is in session (that) will happen here pretty quickly.”
The hearings will be before a committee composed of faculty and students.
The four players, three of whom are starters, have been held out of practices since the investigation became public, and Kelly said earlier this week the four won’t be playing in 17th-ranked Notre Dame’s season opener, Saturday with Rice.
The four have been allowed to work out at the team’s facilities and eat with and interact with their teammates during the investigation process.