Quick Hits: Brian Kelly at Notre Dame football media day
The Notre Dame football program hosted its media day ahead of the 2018 season on Wednesday. That included a press conference with head coach Brian Kelly.
These are some of the thoughts he shared:
• "We're way ahead of where we were last year," Brian Kelly said of the progress the quarterbacks have made in preseason camp.
• With the ability of Ian Book to play quarterback if needed, Kelly said he doesn't have to worry as much about the number of carries Brandon Wimbush gets as the starting quarterback.
• Former safety and linebacker Isaiah Robertson has moved to wide receiver. "He's a really good athlete," Kelly said. "He played wide receiver in high school. He has some skills."
• Offensive lineman Robert Hainsey will return to practice Tuesday, Kelly said. The starting right tackle sat out practice again on Wednesday as he deals with a lower leg injury. The Irish used Tommy Kraemer at right tackle and Josh Lugg at right guard on Wednesday.
• The adjustment to playing running back has required Avery Davis to be smarter about how he treats his body between practices, Kelly said. "This is different for him. The recovery piece is so crucial now," Kelly said.
• On running back Tony Jones Jr.: "We want a solid guy to go to that we can count on in all situations ... He's going to be that guy."
Stick with NDInsider.com for more coverage throughout the day.