Quick Hits: Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly's Vanderbilt week press conference
Notre Dame will have to play better on Saturday to beat Vanderbilt. The Commodores come to town a week after the Irish barely escaped with a win against Ball State.
Head coach Brian Kelly answered questions from reporters Tuesday in his weekly press conference previewing the game ahead. Here are some of the notable quotes from Kelly.
• On Vanderbilt: "They do a really good job defensively. That's what (head coach) Derek (Mason) has done all of his career."
• On what Kelly can do to prepare his team better than last week: "Preparation is what I'm responsible for, and we're going to do a better job this week."
• On the development of Chase Claypool and Miles Boykin at wide receiver: "Probably what you expect in week two. We're not a finished product. We still need to be consistent as a group."
• Kelly said tight end Cole Kmet is doubtful to play this weekend. "It's more of a high ankle sprain," Kell said. "He's going to be limited."
• Kelly on quarterback Brandon Wimbush not being used on many designed runs against Ball State: "A lot of our run plays are designed within a play itself. A pass play could turn into a designed run based upon what he reads." Kelly said Wimbush learned a lot from the game.
• On limiting big runs defensively: "Second-level support has been much better, and it starts with better tackling at the second-level." All three levels of Notre Dame's defense are playing well against the run, Kelly said.
• On Notre Dame's offensive line struggles: "There's work to be done, there's no doubt about that." Kelly said he's nowhere near hitting the panic button yet.
• On how to correct some of those mistakes on the offensive line: "If you prepare the right way, then you shouldn't be thinking on Saturdays. You should be reacting."
Stick with NDInsider.com with more coverage throughout the day.