Quick Hits: Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly's Florida State week press conference
Notre Dame can finish its home slate undefeated with a win against Florida State (2-5) on Saturday.
The No. 3 AP/No. 4 CFP Irish (9-0) will celebrate their seniors before a 7:37 p.m. EST kickoff. Ahead of game No. 10, head coach Brian Kelly hosted his weekly press conference Tuesday.
These are the important statements from Kelly.
• "When we play with a sense of urgency, this is a really good football team," Kelly said of the Irish.
• Cornerback Shaun Crawford, who has missed this season with a torn ACL, plans to return to Notre Dame next season for a fifth year. "He'll be back this spring and competing," Kelly said.
• Running back Jafar Armstrong wasn't at full strength in the Northwestern game while dealing with an ankle injury from the Navy game. "We didn't get the kind of production out of him because he was a bit limited," Kelly said.
• Kelly said Notre Dame can use kicker Justin Yoon in certain spots to kick the ball out of the end zone. The Irish are still relying on Jonathan Doerer as their primary kickoff specialist.
• On how quarterback Brandon Wimbush has handled his demotion this season: "It's easy to lose your edge when you're not starting. He's fought that. He's been a great teammate, and he's kept himself prepared.
• On quarterback Ian Book's control of the offense before the snap: "There's very little changing of plays within the structure of the offense." Book does have decisions to make with RPOs, and Kelly said he makes the right decision roughly 95 percent of the time.
• Kelly said Florida State's offense shouldn't change regardless of who is calling plays on Saturday. Offensive coordinator Walt Bell took over play-calling duties from head coach Willie Taggart last week. "They're going to try to push the ball down the field vertically," Kelly said.
• On how Book has handled the celebrity of being Notre Dame's starting quarterback: "He's handled it pretty good. He's aware of the scrutiny that comes with this position." Kelly said it hasn't changed Book much.
• Linebacker Drue Tranquill did not suffer any setbacks with his ankle by playing against Northwestern. Kelly said Tranquill wants to play every play against Florida State.